Tuesday, November 8, 2011

postoperative operating


My post-op appointment was incredibly promising, as I had hoped it would be. The fracture is healing as well as expected and the doctor said I will be really happy with the scar that the incision leaves. (They glued it instead of stapled so it should be pretty faint.) I got all my questions answered and I now have a better handle on what I can and cannot do.
The most important thing that I CAN do?

 Go back to Norman!!

Don’t get me wrong, I love my mom and living with her the last few weeks has been great (popcorn and movie nights with her are the best). I am just so ready to get back to normal and moving back to Norman seems like the biggest step towards that.

There are going to be some challenges, most of which I think I’ve thought out and planned a course of action. I definitely don’t want to be a burden on my roommates so I’m trying to anticipate every situation I might come across. I’ve already mentally switched sides of the bed (which is kind of a bummer, I hope I can sleep), and I’ll be acquiring a lamp as well as a robe. I think I’m ready to get back into the swing of things and if something comes up, I’ll just have to deal with it as best I can.

I can drive as long as I’m not on narcotics however I’ll probably be taking my apartment’s shuttle to campus every day just to keep things easy. I’ll keep an update on how many weird looks my brace and I get.

Speaking of pain meds, I haven’t taken any since 6 pm yesterday and I’m feeling pretty good. I am able to sit up for long periods of time without much discomfort and I’m hoping to walk a mile at some point today. It’s really cold outside and unfortunately my Uggs don’t make for great walking shoes so we’ll see how far I actually make it.

The period of time I’ll be in the brace was the only disconcerting thing that came up during the post-op. The doctor said he would like to see me in it for 12 weeks instead of 8. I’ve already got 2 weeks down but that still keeps me in this thing until January 17th. I’m going to do my best to get used to it and not let it bother me. I’ll be at the Wormy Dog this weekend and I’m going to the Iowa State game as well as Bedlam. It’s not the ideal situation but it’s a whole hell of a lot better than not being able to go out at all. And hey, maybe I’ll figure out some way to bling out the brace. Anybody got a BeDazzler?

Well I’ve got to go study some Italian since I’ll be back in class and thoroughly confused on Friday. Enjoy your Tuesdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment